Monday, January 21, 2013

Two under two

As it's my last day to have two children under the age of two, I've been reflecting on what life has been like in the last month. Prior to Nathanael's birth, I frequently heard that going from one child to two was harder than going from zero children to one. That may be true for a lot of people, and who knows, it may come true for me yet, but my experience has been that the first child was the hardest wake-up call.

Granted, that wake-up call two years ago was full of extreme preciousness, but it was a rather harsh introduction to this thing called motherhood. No sleep, lots of crying by mama and baby, and being constantly humbled by the fact that I knew not what I was doing.

This time, having a baby right before Christmas added a new twist to logistical planning, with the additional aspect of Big Brother being sick for a week after Nathanael was born. But even given those things, I feel so fortunate and so very blessed that this transition has been smooth.

Levi has been an amazing big brother. He's perceptive, and I can tell that he is processing this new addition to our family. At first, he appeared to be indifferent to his little brother, ignoring him, which, I think in his own way allowed him to adjust to his new normal. But now, he tells his brother good morning, gives him kisses and likes to pat him. He's a great helper. I can't say enough how proud I am of him, and how excited I am to see these two boys grow up together and be the best of friends.

So, as I count down the hours until my sweet little dude's birthday tomorrow, I can say with a smile and with complete sincerity and thankfulness, that life is beautiful. That this is the life I get to live is something that blows me away each and every day:

Daddy and Baby Dude time


Mama and the boys, waking up


Daddy and Little Dude playtime


Brotherly love



"Pound it."



Worship time


Countless parades at Mimi's and Didi's house with a variety of musical instruments


Dude dates for fro-yo


Chillin'


Naps…


… by all parties


Museum fun


Quiet moments where I stumble on to sweet scenes like this



2 comments:

LeachLOVE said...

Love this Lauren! I want to do the same thing... reflect on 2 under 2! What a blessing!

Heather D. said...

Lauren,
I agree adding the 2nd was so much easier than adding the first. She just fit right in our little routine. I was already changing diapers, feeding a kid, waking up in the middle of the night.. why not add another? :) Both boys are precious.