Tuesday, October 30, 2012

21 months!

Levi BLAZE!
I had to capitalize your last name because, in the last few days, when we greet you with Levi Blaze, you smile and repeat, "Blaaaaaze." I think you know that you are our little Blazer, full of energy and spunk.

Last week, as we were driving to the zoo, I noticed the signs posted as we neared one of our favorite places: Now entering the Adventure District. I smiled and realized how appropriate that sentiment was for life with you. Every day is a day in our own adventure district, and ooooooh how I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I realized, in going back and reading through some of my old blog post commemorating your monthly birthday milestones, that some of them… ok, many of them… are pretty sappy. I'm laughing now just thinking about that, but the truth is, I can't help it. I am so crazy in love with my little boy that you bring out the gushing adoration in me.

Your dada and I love continuing to watch you come into your own personality. One of my favorite sounds, and it happens a lot, is the sound of your dad laughing. Now, your dad's laugh is one thing I fell in love with in the very beginning, and now, that laugh is often a result of something you've just done. Soaking him during bathtime, squirming while he tries to dress you, or when he's giving you "goosies."

I love the bond that you and your dad share. There's nothing like watching my two boys together. You ask for him throughout the day, and as soon as you hear him come in the door after work, you run to make sure it's him, pause, and then take off toward your room, a mischievous glint in your eye, beckoning him to chase you. He never fails to take off after you, and the two of you laugh and laugh.

You've learned, from an early age, how fun your dad is. I am still learning how creative that man is. Today, for example, you were incredibly frustrated that "pump" (your pumpkin) would not stay on your lawnmower for a ride. It got to the point that I was ready to take the pumpkin outside for a little break, to focus on something else for a while. But as I was finishing up cooking breakfast, I heard the two of you talking about a "belt," and sure enough, I came in to see him taping pumpkin down so that it wouldn't move. You couldn't have been more pleased.

I've come home to find the two of you in a makeshift fort, or walking a newly constructed balance beam from boxes, or just laughing together. Adventure, I tell you. Always adventure.

You've gotten more physically daring in the last few months. It's not uncommon to get some bumps and bruises throughout the day, and this week you've flipped off of the ottoman not once but TWICE. You didn't mean to either time, and I learned a valuable lesson that day, that in the seconds it can take me to cross the room to remove you from your newest launching pad, you can become airborne.

At this stage in life, you are fascinated by the alphabet, and you know at least a dozen letters. I think your Grammy sparked your interest in this with her bath letters, and you love seeing the letters you know out in public. I am constantly amazed that you can point to a menu or a shirt or a book and call out the letters there. And words? Oh, my boy, you are a sponge, soaking up new words every day and repeating them back to us. You know the anatomy of a bicycle (seat, pedal, tire, handle), many of your body parts, animals and their sounds, and the difference between nighties, jeans, pants and shorts. And, you are becoming quite effective at verbally communicating what it is that you are asking for or would like to do, which is so fun.

And, while you are a lover of things physical and fun, you are also my sweet little boy. Sometimes, you reach out and say "hand," indicating you want to hold your momma's hand. Sometimes, you want to be held or rocked. Often, you want to sit in my lap and read or gaze up at me, pointing out my eyes, nose, cheeks, neck. I savor those moments so dearly.

I know this is getting long, and I could keep going. I can't wait to see what the coming months hold for you. We love you so very much!

Love,
Mama



No comments: