I think the reality of the last week is finally starting to sink in. I still have a few precious hours of sleep left before my little dude awakens, but my mind is racing, so here I sit, at the computer before 5 a.m. What a week! What a week it's been.
Looking back, Gibster hadn't felt 100% for almost two weeks, but with previous gallbladder issues, or what we thought were gallbladder issues, that wasn't necessarily a new thing. It was new, however, for the pain to increase to such a level that he couldn't leave the couch for two days, and so a CT scan was ordered for him. The result of that scan would send us to the ER just a few hours later for an appendectomy.
My Gibster? That man is a trooper. So brave, so tough, and so much patience for his wife. You know, the member of our spousal unit who didn't have surgery last week. That wife. You see, when you take a woman pregnant in her third trimester, whose parents happen to leave for vacation the very day of the surgery (as of course they could have no clue this would happen), who's thrown into a logistical battle of mother-of-toddler and wife-of-surgery-patient, it turns out that she isn't as patient or as graceful as she hoped she might be.
Ok, Lord, I thought. My husband is in immense pain, with tubes coming out every which way, who can't sleep, whose body is wracked with chills and then sweats, and yet I'm the one crying. What on earth.
My heart was broken for him, and I wanted to spend every hour of the day with him, but the reality was, I couldn't. There were a few days last week when I got to see my husband for a grand total of an hour because, as you might imagine, a 21-month old little fireball of energy and a hospital room full of tempting knobs and tubes are not compatible for more than 15 minutes. What am I supposed to do, I asked God. How in the world does this work? And in His mercy and love, it was as if He sent a bright beam of light down from heaven to highlight our community, and He sent them into action.
A friend sat with me into the wee hours of the morning as I waited for GP to come out of surgery. Friends didn't hesitate to host my toddler for a slumber party along with their kids, or for play dates at the last minute. Countless texts, phone calls and e-mails were sent to check in on us. Friends sent the most beautiful and delicious box of strawberries. My family sent sweet balloons which, while certainly enjoyed by their intended recipient, have also provided hours of entertainment for his son. Gib's family drove down to take turns sleeping in his hospital room and helping out with his recovery. Friends leaving town offered us their amazing house for the weekend, so that we could spread out a little bit and so Gib didn't have to tackle stairs upon his release from the hospital.
And then there's Ben, who actually took two days off from work to go and sit with Gib in the hospital. When I thanked him, words not even coming close to expressing my gratitude, he simply said, "it's what you do."
God's kindness never ceases to amaze me, but in situations like this, He gives me a fresh reminder of who He is. He is Peace, He is Joy, He is Healer God, He is Provider.
The surgeon expressed that, in his opinion, issues with Gib's appendix had been occurring for some time now. With all of our travel lately, even overseas, and with a baby expected in the next two months, God's timing on this was once again so gracious. He knew that my parents, who would normally be the first to swoop in and take Levi to their house, simplifying so many logistics for me while giving their grandson a peaceful and enjoyable environment, would be gone. He knew what a mess I would be.
And, He knew what an amazing community we have and that they would take care of business. He also knew what an amazing husband I have, and that Gib would, even through this physical ordeal, remain the rock of our family.
One of my dear friends, who possesses more wisdom and encouragement than she'll ever know, prayed over me as we waited for Gib to come out of surgery. She prayed the Peace of Jesus, and also reminded me that peace is in fact a Person. Sweet Jesus. I knew at the time that she was right, but I didn't yet realize the impact of choosing to see Him as such. Whether or not I looked to Him as the Prince of Peace didn't change the reality of who He is. But choosing to look for the peace and kindness of God in every situation, every day, changes things. I can't say I learned that lesson in a particularly graceful or immediate manner this week, but God is a pursuer and a lover of my soul. And that lesson has finally begun to sink in.
This is a long post, I realize, but I just want to say thank you. Thank you, friends and family. Thank you, Gib and Levi and little one. Thank you, God.
2 comments:
Crying, love this.
So happy to hear you've come through it :) Man alive! I can only imagine how you were feeling friend. Need to see you guys soon!!!
Post a Comment