Saturday, April 9, 2011

Life group wedding

Last night, Team Park didn't go to bed until 2:30 a.m., just like the old college days. The difference is that this time, we actually had a great reason to stay up so late (other than Levi)!

One of the couples in our life group got married in a courthouse just over one year ago. It wasn't the wedding they envisioned, so for their one year anniversary, our life group decided to throw them a wedding. That's right, a true wedding with music and a wedding party and food and all of the fun things that make wedding celebrations so much fun!

I can't take any credit for this brainchild - a few of the life group ladies put their heads and talents together and came up with a plan that was brilliant. Then, they delegated. My job was that of Beverage Woman, so I provided the water, tea and punch. That, I could handle! So last night, the big event happened, and it was AMAZING!

I wish I had photos of the reception to post - it was a wedding wonderland with lights and tulle and candles and tons of food and... the list goes on! Within our life group, we have several gals who not only have the vision to make an empty room into a romantic reception, but they also have the skills to bring their vision to fruition. The bride looked beautiful, the food was delicious, the music was dance-worthy, and best of all, we were able to celebrate this precious couple's vow renewal.

What made this wedding especially meaningful for me, and I think everyone involved, was seeing our community come together and be just that - a community. Acts 2:42-45 says, "All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need."

I can list plenty of reasons why I love our life group community, but living out this Scripture is at the top of the list. We have had many nights where someone in the group has mentioned a need, and within 24 hours that need is met. And we are talking some big needs sometimes.

For the wedding, people pooled not only resources together, but also time and talents, and the end result was beautiful. Someone created the wedding invitation, another person made a three-tiered wedding cake, another sketched the reception design, others brought candles and table cloths and vases and serving pieces and music. A group donated teeth whitening services, while others took care of party favors in the form of a candy buffet. One person did all of the flower arrangements, another made cake balls, and another brought chocolate fountains. Still others cut up fruit and made salads and appetizers to serve. A professional photographer in the group volunteered her services as a wedding photographer. Some of our lifegroup musical talent provided music for the wedding/vow renewal ceremony. A guy in our lifegroup served as videographer, even on his birthday. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. And the end result was a far cry from something you might envision when you hear that a group of people volunteered to make this happen. The result was something you would expect to see after paying vendors thousands of dollars to make it happen.

Countless people spent hours and hours planning and meeting and then coming together to make the vision come to life this week. And they did it not out of obligation, but out of love, for the couple and for each other. I witnessed the group in action late into the evening the night before, and also just before the wedding as everyone was in a frenzy getting last minute things done. Not one cross word was spoken and no one complained, no matter what unexpected things might happen. It was so neat.

L&J, I hope this wedding was a blessing to you - but what I know for sure is that it was an absolute blessing to be part of. I feel so fortunate to be doing life with all of these folks.

Here's Levi with two people who laid the foundation of our life group. Chris and Julie led our group in the beginning and we love them! Chris officiated the ceremony and Jules sang (he's our lead pastor and she is the worship pastor). And yes, Levi is in his go-to tie onesie for all formal occasions!


I don't have a pic of Josh and Becca (current LG leaders) from last night, but they lead our group well. They'll probably get their own post down the road!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

So awesome! Can't wait to see the wonderful pics :)