We MOVED! Into a HOUSE! After prolonging my graduation as long as possible so that 1.) I could remain sane in completing coursework at a slow enough pace that I could also function as a mama and wife; and 2.) So we could continue living in the international student housing, which we absolutely loved, I completed my master's degree, which necessitated us leaving student housing.
The timing was right because with two kiddos, the walls were starting to close in on our teeny little apartment. And getting two little-'uns up and down the stairs was enough to make me lecture myself daily on choosing a second-floor apartment. So after a lot of searching, and a lot of parental financial assistance, we moved into an adorable house that immediately doubled our living space.
And one week after moving, we left the country for two weeks. Haha! Somehow, in the logistical planning, that never registered as a red flag until we were in the midst of the chaos. Our amazing crew of friends and family helped us load and unload and get as settled as possible before repacking for a trip to Lebanon and Dubai. Except strike that Lebanon part because 24 HOURS before departure, we received official notice that our itinerary needed to change. So, while our team went on to Lebanon, we stayed in Dubai before meeting up with them.
The trip was, in a word, incredible. I've never been on a trip like it before. Our team was one divinely woven together, and together we saw lives changed every single day we were there. Jesus can do that, I already knew that, but to actually see it in action, day by day... wow. Each night as we gathered before bed to debrief the day, we actually had to limit the stories told because there were so many that otherwise, we'd be up all night hearing them.
Some pics from the trip:
We took advantage of a long layover to get out into Amsterdam and breathe fresh air!
It was so FUN to get to have coffee with one of my favorite Norman friends. Her parents live in the emirate we visited, and I got to meet them, which I'd always hoped to do! Meeting up at Starbucks there with her felt surreal, but also weirdly normal!
We visited one of the largest mosques in the city. You'll note the ladies are covered, which is required to go inside. However, this was the only time we had to cover our heads the entire trip.
Baby dude had lots of helpers who were amazing!
Just one of the many moments spent on the metro!
The Moore tornado happened while we were overseas, and it didn't feel real to be living in a completely different situation, while hearing news from home of the homes devastated and our friends working in relief efforts. We really did feel worlds apart on some level.
Less than a week after returning home, our dear friends Sarah and Joel began what would become the biggest battle of their family's lives. I really can't put into words, still today, an accurate description of those weeks. None of us expected the ending to be a funeral. Truly, we didn't. But God is faithful to the end, and this summer has taught me a lot about intercession, faith, and hope. And Sarah? She will get her own post here eventually because not only is she a good friend... she is a warrior. She is vulnerable and fierce, and I count it a huge honor to be her friend.
And now, with the advent of a new school year, we are looking ahead to a great year with all of the new international students on campus. Last Sunday, as we kicked off the first Wal-mart rides for international students, more than 70 students showed up. It was a blast, and I love the sight of the aisles of Wal-mart filled with representation of the globe.
I can't believe it's nearly September. Here's to a great fall ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment